Stellenbosch PhD student, Steve Chingwaru discovers potential 460 tonnes of gold in Witwatersrand mine dumps

--:--
It is known that there is invisible gold, which consists of minuscule particles locked inside other minerals in the mine dumps found all over the Johannesburg and Witwatersrand area. What makes Chingwaru’s research noteworthy is that, as a Master’s degree student whose research was upgraded to a PhD, he is the first scholar to calculate that the six billion tons of tailings around the Witwatersrand mines contain up to 460 tons of gold. In an interview with Biznews, Chingwaru said that the tailing dumps in the Johannesburg area are being reprocessed by mining companies, but they are only achieving a 30% recovery rate. He set out to locate the remaining 70% and determine how to safely extract it from the pyrite. Chingwaru’s research has attracted the attention of major mining companies, and he has also received interest from China. Armed with his PhD, he plans to venture overseas to expand his knowledge of mining. However, he intends to return to Africa to promote sustainable mining practices for South Africa and the African continent. Chingwaru is the grandson of the legendary prospector, George Nolan who discovered lithium in Zimbabwe.
10 Apr 1PM English South Africa Investing · Business News

Other recent episodes

How to “Unfxck” South Africa…

In "How to Fix (Unfxck) a Country," economist Dr. Roy Havemann unveils a roadmap to reboot South Africa post-State Capture. Through his exploration of the six fundamental "E's" – Eskom, Education, Environment, Exports, Equality, and Ethics – Havemann offers practical strategies gleaned from global experiences. Drawing from consultations with esteemed…
22 May 9AM 14 min

BNC London: Lorimer Q&A - How SA can unlock its vast oil and gas potential

In a dynamic Q&A between Alec Hogg and James Lorimer, the shadow minister of Mineral Resources, the discussion spans from Namibia's significant oil finds to South Africa's energy landscape. Lorimer highlights potential job creation and revenue influx from oil and gas, while acknowledging policy hurdles. With insights into fracking, renewable…
22 May 8AM 38 min

BNC London: Cronje Q&A - Coalition and electoral challenges post-May 29

At the BizNews Conference in London, Frans Cronje discussed the ANC's electoral prospects, the influence of Jacob Zuma, and the dynamics between the ANC and EFF. He analysed the ANC's strategic behavior and potential alliances, emphasizing the pragmatic and cautious approach the party often takes. Cronje highlighted the complexities within…
22 May 8AM 37 min