Consumers displaying more positive sentiments
GUEST - Rodger George, Consumer Industry Leader at Deloitte Africa
The report indicates:
- Affordability remains the most significant barrier to leisure travel in South Africa.
- Consumers are still engaging in cost saving behaviours as cost of living continues to rise.
- 47% of respondents made sure to avoid waste by not buying too much food.
- While 44% are still opting to prepare meals at home over takeout meals.
- Consumers in all income groups are expecting to spend more on housing, groceries, entertainment, leisure and travel and less on everyday household goods and education.
- It is clear across all income groups that essential items take the bulk of the wallet. It is concerning to see that education contributes the least share of the wallet.